Friday, February 03, 2006

Ford's Take on Pierce-for-Paul

As a followup to my previous post, Chad Ford recently answered a Celtic fan's question in a Q-A session:

Jeff, Boston: Paul Pierce for Chris Paul? I read your piece with a lot of amusement. Have you watched Pierce this year? He's finally a superstar. No way I would've made this trade.

Chad Ford: Pierce has been awesome this year. But it's about timing. Will Pierce still be awesome when the Celtics young players are ready to be serious championship contenders. I think that's 2 to 3 years away if everything goes the Celtics way ... Dont' know if Pierce will still be bringing the juice then, but Paul would be. Besides, I really like Delonte West, but he's more of a combo guard than a true point. Paul is more of a leader and would've actually paired up great in the backcourt with West. So yes ... I would've done it. Paul is younger, much cheaper (don't forget the Cs would've gotten major cap flexibility as part of the deal) and would've fit into the long term strategy of the Celtics.


I couldn't have said it better myself, although I have the feeling I still haven't convinced M! (M, is that you posting questions as "Jeff, Boston"?)

1 comment:

maz said...

RE: Ford's Take on Pierce-for-Paul

I thought I made clear in our last exchange that in retrospect, this deal is a no-brainer. Chris Paul appears to be the real deal, and in this case, I agree with you 100% about the salaries and timing for the nucleus of the team. Also, I think it's much more difficult to find a top point guard than 2 guard or swingman. All that being said, my only point was that when drafting players, it's always a gamble, and I understand why TD was hesitant to trade a certified star for unproven NBA talent.