Sunday, February 19, 2006

Odds and ends part II

While Gerald Green has become a somewhat disturbing recurring feature in the Basketball Notes column, I really can't figure out why we haven't heard more from Delonte West. If you saw today's Notes column, you understand why I say this.
Interviewed about his thoughts on a romantic Valentine's Day date, Delonte West made some, shall we say, interesting remarks. In stream-of-consciousness commentary that appeared on ESPN.com, he talked about taking his date out on a boat for some skinny-dipping and Popeye's chicken. At one point, he fantasized that sharks ate his date and he inherited her money. If you know West, he was just being himself. If not, the commentary came across as weird. ''It was interesting, was what it was," said West. ''I wasn't thinking anything. I was just being myself, just talking. That's how I talk. I conversate." What about the ''Jaws" scenario? ''It goes like that sometimes," said West.
So this is "normal" for West? Is there some reason he hasn't become a staple for beat reporters and talk show hosts in this town? Maybe it's just that the Celtics suck right now. If he was on the Red Sox, it sounds like he'd be a combo of Bill Lee, Roger Clemens, Wade Boggs and Kevin Millar, all rolled into one.

1 comment:

maz said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.